Summary: This position is responsible for coordinating and carrying out activities related to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The position will also provide services to the underprivileged and underserved through advocacy, information and referral and crisis intervention services
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Conduct outreach and education activities regarding food stamp eligibility eligibility in accordance with the TSNAP contract.
• Plan and execute outreach to those potentially eligible for food stamps at locations throughout Westchester County.
• Interview clients to pre-screen for food stamps eligibility and assist eligible applicants in the completion and submission of applications to the local Department of Social Services.
• Conduct follow-up to determine outcome and maintain records to track client outcomes. Utilize web-based database to track client information and outcomes.
• Develop and maintain good communication with other agencies within the County to facilitate inter-agency referrals.
• Complete statistical reports.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday – Friday. Additional evening and weekend hours may be required for outreach and special events.
Education and/or experience required:
Bachelor’s degree, or at least two years of experience in the social services field.
Bilingual, Spanish English required.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Knowledge of social service delivery systems, and County resources.
Good organizational, time management, and communication skills
Proficient in MS Office and Database entry.
Individual must possess the ability to work well independently as well as part of a team
Individual must be willing and able to travel throughout the designated County and to participate in meetings and trainings as needed in Albany and elsewhere.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Travel up to 75% of the time, for outreach or to visit clients in their home, using public transportation or vehicle, traverse streets; occasionally ascend/descend stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions.
• Remain stationary at a workstation or during meetings/presentations and use a computer.
• Traverse neighborhoods that may require a high level of alertness and awareness of surroundings
• Ability to carry a laptop and transport outreach materials to offsite work locations.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment i.e. copier, fax, scanner, postage machine and printer.
• Ability to use and respond to phone calls.
• Ability to file client documents in cabinets.
• Ability to work with the public and/or clients who are in stressful situations.