The Staff Accountant is an accounting position that is an integral member of the Catholic Charities Community Services (CCCS) Program Support team which provides fiscal support to the programs and administration of CCCS. The team primarily focuses on preparing contract reports that facilitate contracting, billing and collection of revenues from funding agencies.
The position reports to the Senior Accountant and is principally responsible for timely, accurate fiscal requirements needs (claims processing, budgeting, forecasting, reporting and allocations) primarily for the Community Outreach Services Division. The position also assists provides similar services for other divisions when required. This position often addresses the more complex fiscal contracts and their requirements include filing of contract claims, contract budgets I modifications, compliance reports and related accounting activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contract accounting associated with contracts and grants:
- Accurately prepare and complete claims within filing deadlines set by the various funding agencies;
- Complete periodic revenue, receivable and expense reconciliations;
- Ensure integrity of financial results related to government contracts and grants, revenues, receivables, earned unbilled, and advances; and preparation of related standard journal entries; and
- Monitor and follow up on outstanding receivable balances with the funding sources to maximize cash flow, which is critical to the organization.
- Set-up Activities, enter Activity Budgets and Grants Management Deliverables in Lawson, as assigned.
- Assist in providing timely and accurate financial reporting
- Review transactions and coding; prepare journal entries
- Preparing audit work papers, analyses and documentation
- Assist, as assigned, in providing timely and accurate managerial and operational reporting:
- Preparation of managerial and financial accounting analyses/ reports, budget assembly, and forecasts.
- Financial support for budgets and monthly reporting including variance reports
- Provide recommendations for internal accounting/ operating controls and efficiencies.
- Assist in other ad hoc projects, as assigned.
Position Type and expected hours of work:
- This is a full-time position that requires in office attendance at frequencies designated for the Department. Days and hours of work are generally 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday – Friday.
- Additional evening hours may be required to meet agency deadlines.
Working Conditions and physical demands required:
- Remain in a stationary position at an office workstation and use a computer at least 70% of the time
- Ability to maintain physical files and meet competing deadlines.
- Carry a laptop to offsite work locations, when assigned.
Significant Working Relationships:
- CCCS Executive, administrative and operations management and staff
- Corporate Departments (Executive Directors, CFO, Human Resources and Controller’s group)
- CCCS Fiscal staff.
- Funding agencies, their auditors and independent auditors.
Education and/or Experience required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with least I to 2 years of relevant experience;
- Knowledge of accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America and cost accounting principles.
Other Skills, Licenses, and/or Competencies:
- Good interpersonal and communication skills – ability to relate and clearly communicate with operating management, financial staff and other departments, including professional writing style.
- Ability to analyze problems and recommendations and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to initiate projects, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines; exhibit a sense of urgency in performing work.
- Good computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel* and Word* required;
- ABILITY TO SUCCESSFULLY PASS “ESkills” TEST
- Work requires a strong work ethic and exhibiting a sense of urgency in completion of tasks, willingness to work a flexible schedule and a commitment to the mission of Catholic Charities
Considered A Plus:
- Non-profit experience; familiarity with government (NYS / NYC) contracts
- Lawson Financial Systems
COVID-19 Adjustment: Position will be onboarded virtually. Potential to orient to the physical office space in person depending on CDC and agency requirements at the time of onboarding. Updates to protocol are implemented on a regular basis.
Catholic Charities and Catholic Charities Community Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.