Summary: The Refugee Resettlement Department provides social services, employment support and educational services to refugees and other immigrant populations in New York City and the Lower Hudson Valley. Under the direction of the Operations Manager, the Direct Assistance Coordinator will be responsible for the lifecycle of requesting, processing, administering, tracking, and disbursing direct financial assistance to RR clients using checks, gift cards, MetroCards, purchase orders, and other financial instruments. The Direct Assistance Coordinator will follow CCCS, department and contractual guidelines and ensure proper documentation, reporting and tracking of Direct Assistance. The Direct Assistance Coordinator will assist department leadership and program staff to interface and liaise effectively with Finance, the Executive Office, and other departments as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities including the following:
- Complete check processing, including managing requests from program staff, gathering digital signatures, submitting in systems, tracking, distributing, ensuring appropriate backup is collected, and reconciling.
- Maintain financial records carefully and precisely, entering accurate information into forms and spreadsheets, making and checking calculations, researching discrepancies and ensuring appropriate follow up to rectify.
- Manage direct assistance within each distinct program according to programmatic guidelines, accounting for the correct codes, restrictions, and requirements.
- Continually review submissions to ensure that requests are on track, timely, and in compliance with the contractual requirements.
- Review use of appropriate accounting codes and ensure that all systems have most up-to-date codes in use.
- Oversee compliance with CCCS protocols for gift card request and documentation, including requesting, data entry, maintenance of backup documentation, and coordination with program staff as needed.
- Analyze spending of direct assistance in accordance with contractual guidelines.
- Communicate effectively and proactively with supervisors, program managers, and leadership regarding deviations in expected budgets and trends.
- Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, provide ongoing internal communications on direct assistance processes.
- Provide oversight of the monthly tracking of direct assistance provided to clients and review cash and in‐kind.
Education and/or experience required:
- At least three years of relevant experience.
Skills, Licenses and/or competencies required:
- Knowledge of financial transactions and familiarity with financial regulations.
- Superior skills in Microsoft Office, SharePoint and Outlook; ability to utilize multiple database systems for financial tracking.
- Ability to manage deadlines and high-volume communication in a fast-paced environment, with strong attention to detail and administrative capacity.
- Excellent organizational skills, problem-solving skills, communication (oral & written), and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position that will require working with underserved communities in the New York metro area. Days and hours of work are generally 9:00AM-5:00PM Monday – Friday. Position requires occasional travel among offices primarily in Manhattan and Yonkers as needed. Rare weekend and evening hours, as needed to respond to client financial emergencies.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area using reliable transportation, traversing streets, ascending/descending stairs, and exposed to outside weather conditions.
- COVID-19 Adjustment: Position will be onboarded remotely with a transition to in-person work depending on CDC and agency requirements at the time of onboarding. Updates to protocol are implemented on a regular basis.