Naturalization Application Assistance is Available - Hudson Valley Press
11/25/2015 | News Articles
NEWBURGH - Catholic Charities Community Services of Orange County and the New York State Office for New Americans will be providing free assistance with naturalization applications at their office at the Newburgh Armory Unity Center on Friday, December 11. The assistance is free of charge, but appointments are required and can be made by calling 845-562-4736. The Newburgh Armory Unity Center is located at 321 South William Street in the City of Newburgh.
Experienced naturalization attorneys and paralegals will be available for application consultation to help those individuals who are working through the complex process of becoming a United States citizen.
Those seeking assistance with their naturalization application should bring the following items with them:
- Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
- Social Security card
- Any and all passports issued to the applicant
- Marriage certificate(s), if any
- Divorce decree(s), if any
- Certificate(s) of disposition for criminal charges or arrests, if any
- Two passport size photos
- Money order payable to the “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” in the amount of $680 (or proof of low income or receipt of public benefits to support a request for a fee waiver)
- Addresses for places of residence for the last five years
- Employment history for the last five years
- Dates of trips made outside of the U.S. since receiving Permanent Residence Card.
- Copy of Selective Service Registration for males who have lived in the U.S. at any time between the ages of 18 and 26.
Application assistance is free, but applicants must present proof of income, such as recent pay stubs, tax returns, employment letter with proof of current salary, or evidence that the applicant receives unemployment benefits or government benefits (such as food stamps, SSI, Medicaid, etc.).
“The journey to citizenship is often a challenging one, especially when language barriers and access to qualified legal assistance create obstacles,” said Dr. Dean Scher, Executive Director, Catholic Charities Community Services of Orange County. “Catholic Charities is fortunate to be able to partner with the New York State Office for New Americans to help make free application assistance available to those who need it so that others can pursue the American dream and the opportunity to realize a better quality of life for themselves and their families as U.S. citizens,” continued Dr. Scher.
Registrations are strongly recommended – to register call 845-562-4736. Walk-ins will be accommodated as scheduling allows.
For questions regarding an immigration matter, please call the New York State New Americans Hotline at 1-800-566-7636. The Hotline is open from 9 am to 8 pm, Monday through Friday, and operators speak many languages.