Location: New York, NY
FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Office: CCCS Fiscal
Reports to: Assistant Controller
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Summary: The Staff Accountant is an important member of the Controller’s staff with responsibilities related to the accounting for the multiple entities (and combined) financial records maintained by Catholic Charities Community Service’s (CCCS) Fiscal Department.
The Staff Accountant operates under the guidance of the Assistant Controller and must be a team player with good communication, accounting and computer skills. These skills are required to effectively perform analyses and accounting work to support timely and accurate production of financial information, as well as meeting audit requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Reconcile selected bank accounts.
- Prepare and analyze monthly account analysis for various general ledger accounts.
- Reconcile selected accounts and resolve reconciling differences.
- Prepare journal entries for approval and input approved journal entries into the accounting system.
- Responsible for Accounts Receivables.
- Reconcile intercompany accounts.
- Assist in the analysis of the financial statements produced in the Department and with month-end closings.
- Assist other members of the Controller’s Department as required.
- Assist in the preparation of information for auditors.
- Miscellaneous copying and filing.
- Special projects.
Significant working relationships:
- Management and staff of the entities for which the accounting records are maintained.
- Auditors and banks.
- Management and staff of Archdiocesan entities.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally 9:00 AM to 5 PM Monday - Friday. Additional evening and occasional weekend hours will be required to meet agency and contract deadlines.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Remain in a stationary position at a work station and use a computer at least 60% of the time.
- Carry a laptop.
- Ability to meet competing deadlines.
Education and/or experience required:
- Bachelor Degree with accounting courses; Accounting degree a plus.
- Relevant work experience in an accounting department a plus.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel and Word. *ABILITY TO SUCCESSFULLY PASS “PROVE-IT” SKILLS TEST.
- Non-profit experience a plus.
- Knowledge of Lawson Accounting Software a plus.
- Quick learner and strong in adapting to computer applications.
- Work requires a willingness to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and occasional weekends.
- A commitment to the mission of Catholic Charities.
Sign Up For Email
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter highlighting relevant past experience and qualifications, and state their position of interest and desired compensation. Submissions without this information will not be considered.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com