Location: New York, NY
FLSA Status: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Department: Alianza Division
Office: Alianza Dominicana Cultural Center
Reports to: Program Director/Assistant Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Summary: The Alianza Dominicana Cultural Center [The Cultural Center] produces and promotes literary, performing, and visual arts programs to support and strengthen community cultural programs and institutions in Washington Heights and Inwood. It also serves as a home to local artists committed to enriching the lives of Northern Manhattan residents through the arts. The Cultural Center is a multicultural project, celebrating Dominican, Latino, and Latin American cultures, with a special focus on Afro-Dominican artistic traditions in its own programming. The Center’s physical space comprises the beautiful second floor exhibition and performance space, two performing arts studios and a large multipurpose space in the lower level, and the lobby exhibition space.
The Percussion Instructor will provide instruction to community residents and abide by the Cultural Center’s mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Cultivate a passion for music.
- Recruit, and promote high levels of attendance.
- Develop a curriculum and lesson plans.
- Organize a music performance for all students to participate.
- Supervise and monitor the students’ performance levels.
- Maintain and update student files.
- Record attendance.
- Develop contacts with other institutions that provide the similar services.
- Submit weekly reports to, and attend weekly staff meetings with, the Program Director.
- Communicate any program changes and issues to the Program Director.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a part-time position. Days and hours of work are generally Monday – Friday 4 hours, and 2 hours on Saturday. Additional hours may be required to meet program deadlines, or client needs.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability and patience to work with children and young people, recognizing their exuberance and juvenile behavior, particularly in group settings.
- Remain in a stationary position or moving while monitoring students.
- Travel, if performing off-site or taking field trips, using public transportation, traverse city streets, ascend/descend stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions, while escorting youth.
Education and/or experience required:
- Minimum HS Diploma or Equivalency; Bachelor degree in Music a plus, and
- At least three (3) years’ experience in the field with a high level of knowledge in Dominican Folk Music.
- Experience teaching or training individuals in group settings.
- Experience with lesson plan development.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Sign Up For Email
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter highlighting relevant past experience and qualifications, and state their position of interest and desired compensation. Submissions without this information will not be considered.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com