Location: New York, NY
FLSA Status: Part Time, Non-Exempt
Department: Alianza Division
Office: La Plaza Beacon Community Center
Reports to: Program Director or Assistant Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Summary: The Music Instructor is responsible for teaching different styles of traditional, Dominican music and education about its background; performance techniques to participants for future performances; and, developing and maintaining music courses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Teach different styles of traditional Dominican music and its background: Palos and/or Atabales from the Northeast Region, North of Santo Domingo Capital City, and Sarandunga from Bani at the Southwest of the Capital City. Teach performance techniques for future performances of these two musical genres.
- Develop lesson plans and maintain classes.
- Supervise and monitor students’ performance level.
- Maintain and update participant files.
- Monitor daily attendance for all courses.
- Develop contacts with other institutions that provide the same services.
- Keep the Beacon Director informed of any changes and abnormalities.
- Attend weekly staff meeting with Program Director or Assistant Director.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a part-time position. Summer days/hours from July 11 - August 19, 2016, Monday and Tuesday from 9:00am to 12:00pm and Wednesday from 9:00am to 11:00am.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability and patience to work with children and young people, particularly in group settings.
- Remain in a stationary position either working at a computer or monitoring classes or providing instruction.
- Travel when performing off-site or taking field trips, using public transportation, traverse city streets, ascend/descend stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions, while escorting youth.
Education and/or experience required:
- High School Diploma or equivalent Bachelors Degree a plus.
- At least three (3) years’ experience teaching music and high level of music knowledge.
- Experience in teaching in group settings and lesson plan development.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Sign Up For Email
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter highlighting relevant past experience and qualifications, and state their position of interest and desired compensation. Submissions without this information will not be considered.
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org