Location: Bronx, NY
FLSA Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Department: Community Outreach Services Office: HomeBase
Reports to: Program Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes_________ No_________
Summary: Responsible for providing support to the staff and clients of the Community-based Homelessness Prevention Program, in all matters related to public and privately funded benefits. Incumbents in this classification are expected to possess considerable expertise in TANF and Safety Net Assistance funded benefits, Social Security, State and Federally funded Housing subsidies, Food Stamps, and other programs for which HomeBase clients may be eligible. Solicits jobs to ensure growth of jobs database. Conducts broad job-search and matches job seekers with appropriate job opportunities. Communicates with employers regarding participants’ interviews, hiring, retention, and documentation
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works with the Program Director in providing assistance to the case managers in matters related to public benefits.
- Develop a resources guide to be used by case managers as a reference source, and by supervisors as a training tool.
- Provides guidance to clients in dealing with benefits-related issues.
- Provides counseling and advocacy services to clients who are having problems with their public benefits.
- Provides guidance and advocacy to clients who are pursuing administrative fair-hearings with the different government agencies.
- Provides assistance to clients and case managers with the proper usage of Access NYC.
- Participates as instructor for the CCCS Tenant Education Program.
- Develops employment opportunities and relationships with employers
- Conducts evaluation of clients
- Drafts and edits résumés, reviews career prospects and devises employment plans
- Coordinate orientation for new and ongoing clients, and with case managers on individual service plan
- Works with participants on issues of interviewing, networking, and marketing oneself communication and related topics as appropriate
- Conducts broad job search; matches participants with appropriate employment
- Communicates with employers re: interviews, hiring, retention, and documentation
- Conduct sessions for job-retention support
- Provides phone and client support to ensure clients meet action deadlines
- Develops, organizes and facilitates job readiness/employability skills curriculum for all training cycles, including soft skills and life skills topics such as money management, time management, conflict resolution, and career advancement.
- Conducts related workshops, classes, and other individual or group activities with clients.
- Works with clients on employment preparation activities, such as editing draft résumés, mock interviewing and job coaching on issues such as networking, marketing oneself, communication and related topics as appropriate.
- Ensures that all clients have an updated résumé and all pertinent job search documents.
- Ensures that all clients who are deemed “job ready” work with a Job Developer to achieve placement.
- Administers vocational, educational and career assessment tools to clients to assess employment history, education, skills and abilities and potential barriers to employment.
- Assists participants with online searches and other computer-based employment resources; coaches participants in their employment search activities.
- Maintains progress notes on all contacts with participants in case file and in information management systems; collects and completes all necessary documentation and reports related to program activities.
- Attend Department and Program meetings as directed.
- Handle special projects as assigned by the supervisor.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally Monday - Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM. Additional hours may occasionally be required to meet program deadlines, or client needs.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Individuals will use public transportation or traverse city streets, occasionally ascend/descend stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Ability to work with the public.
- Ability to position boxes/items at different levels that weigh up to 25 lbs.
- Remain stationary at a work station and use a computer at least 50% of the time.
- Potential to carry a laptop to offsite work locations.
Education and/or experience required:
- Bachelor Degree or, at least five (5) years’ experience in the field.
- Minimum two (2) years’ job development experience.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent computer, MS Word and Internet skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Bi-lingual English-Spanish a plus
Sign Up For Email
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter highlighting relevant past experience and qualifications, and state their position of interest and desired compensation. Submissions without this information will not be considered.
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org