Bronx Food Hub/Pantry Aide
Location: Bronx Community Center - 402 East 152nd Street, Bronx, NY
FLSA Status: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Classification: Administrative Support Worker
Department: Community Outreach Services Program/Contract: Feeding Our Neighbors
Reports to: Bronx Food Hub/Pantry Supervisor
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Summary: The Feeding Our Neighbors (FON) Department provides emergency meals to individuals and families who face hunger and food insecurity throughout the Archdiocese of NY. Our goal is to provide healthy nutritious meals to anyone who is in need with compassion and dignity. This position supports program operations and serves as alternate driver for the Bronx Food Hub and Pantry (when necessary).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist with all aspects of weekly food deliveries including lifting, moving, cleaning and organizing food, equipment, furniture, etc. in the hub and/or pantry.
- Receive, unpack and re-stock cases of food, produce, frozen and refrigerator food items.
- As requested, conduct and maintain product inventory and report information to supervisor.
- Maintain food safety protocols for food storage, inventory, equipment and premises.
- Provide assistance to clients in need of resources and services in the community. This may require a brief needs assessment, advocacy, information and referral to local community based providers.
- Work closely with FON staff and CCCS personnel to ensure smooth program operations.
- Serve as alternate driver to pick up food from vendors and/or make food deliveries to partner programs.
This includes proper use and maintenance of the vehicle, gas, mileage, repairs, etc.
- Keep facility and equipment clean and organized based on NYC Dept. of Health regulations.
- Help with the set-up and close-down of food hub and pantry as requested.
- Maintain good verbal and written communications with supervisor, staff and external partners.
- Work closely with volunteers, interns, and other personnel as assigned.
- Work closely with the Case Management staff, other CCCS programs/staff and affiliate agencies.
- Assist Supervisor, department staff and/or other agency personnel as needed to support operations.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally 10:00 AM to 6 PM Monday – Friday. May be required to work some holidays, evening and/or weekend hours.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Moving and lifting of boxes, pallets, and/or cases of food products 50% of time, sometimes outside in cold weather.
- Driving and travel within NYC at least 30% of the time using company vehicle.
- Familiarity with NYC streets/roads/highways, traffic laws, and parking regulations.
- Traverse neighborhoods that may require a high level of alertness and awareness of surroundings.
- Work with clients who require consistent and comprehensive support, some under potentially stressful conditions.
- Remain in a stationary position at a work station and use a computer approximately 20% of the time.
Education and/or experience required:
- High School Diploma/Equivalency.
- Three (3) years’ experience working in a human services setting, Or
At least three (3) years’ experience working or volunteering in an emergency food program.
- Some familiarity with working in a small warehouse environment.
- Some knowledge of operating warehouse equipment (pallet jacket).
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Lift and/or move containers that weigh over 50 lbs.
- Valid and clean tri-state driver’s license. Must pass Agency Vehicle Usage & Safety Policy requirement.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and/or a database program.
- Ability to interact with diverse population of the public and work in various communities.
- Maintain excellent relationships with internal personnel and external partners.
- Team player and supportive of program and community development projects.
Sign Up For Email
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter highlighting relevant past experience and qualifications, and state their position of interest and desired compensation. Submissions without this information will not be considered.
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org