Location: New York, NY
FLSA status: Full-Time, Exempt
Department: Alianza Division
Reports To: Director of the Learning to Work Program
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Summary: This position provides direct supportive service including supported internship experiences and follow-up to program participants, assisting them in completing their high school education and post-secondary plan under the LTW contract. It requires documented delivery of contractual services such as counseling, academic support, job readiness, career exploration, attendance outreach, seminar, job site development and place 4-10 students in supported internship experiences. The Advocate Counselor will also be responsible for developing materials/lessons to strengthen participant resiliency and knowledge. This position will serve as liaison between parent, school and student.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Supportive Services Responsibilities
- Oversee a caseload of at least 40 students.
- Conduct regular one-on-one session with caseload, at least twice a month.
- Create and maintain a working alliance with students.
- Develop students’ social intelligence through teaching Advisory/Community Gathering.
- Adapt the existing Advisory curriculum and Lesson Plans (i.e., Overcoming Obstacles: Life Skills Program, ESR Advisory Manual and The 7 Habits of highly Effective Teens and others) to meet students’ developmental needs, build on their assets and potential; and foster resiliency.
- Provide crisis counseling for caseload as needed.
- Provide attendance outreach through phone calls, morning wake-up calls, letters, case conferencing and/or home visit.
- Assess for referrals to community-based support services for students and family members.
- Assist students’ participation in community service opportunities during academic year upon request.
- Facilitate or co-facilitate students’ clubs and special activities: tutoring, leadership (Youth Council or Youth Leaders College Access or R.E.D – Real Educated Divas mentoring, G.R.E.E.N - Gentlemen Reaching Education Excellence Now), recreational, cultural, and social activities.
- Provide caseload graduates follow-up for one year (after graduation).
- Support IDP new student admission process (outreach, open houses/intake interviews, new students’ orientation, parents’ orientations, among others).
College and Career Exploration and Readiness
- Support in tracking students’ academic progress using report cards, progress reports, and periodic assessments.
- Help students assess personality and traits to guide them to define and develop realistic educational career plans.
- Educate students and parents/guardians about colleges, the college admissions process, trends, procedures, and testing through workshops and/or individual counseling.
- Assist students in completing college and financial aid applications.
Supported Internship Experiences and Job Development
- Assist Program Director in the development of worksites for internship.
- Place 10 students from assigned caseload in subsidized internships during the school academic year and 4 students during the Summer.
- Assist students to complete paperwork process for internship placement.
- Monitor students’ performance by contacting site supervisors via phone calls and/or emails on a weekly basis, conduct monthly site visits and collect evaluations.
- Assist students to complete and submit timesheets.
- Submit interns’ files to Administrative Assistant.
- Monitor sites to ensure interns have positive and age-appropriate work experiences.
- Create and implement curriculum/lesson for seminar sessions on topics like Financial Literacy, Career Assessment, Mock Interviews, Resume Building, etc.
- Record service/progress notes for caseload, including but not limited to attendance, outreach, individual counseling, career and college advisement, tutoring, seminar in web-based data collection systems: Career Firsts and Skedula.
- Record weekly attendance of seminar, advisory, tutoring, career/college workshops and number of hours worked for students in internship in online database to track trends and identify participants who need further assistance.
- Track completion of students’ community service hours.
- Attend internal and external meetings, trainings and conferences as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally Monday - Friday 8:30AM to 4:30PM. Occasional evening and Saturdays will be required.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability and patience to work with young people, recognizing their exuberance, particularly in group settings.
- Remain in a stationary position working at a computer at least 30% of the time or monitoring activities.
- Move for long periods, providing instruction or facilitating workshops.
- Travel when taking field trips, worksite and home visits, using public transportation, traverse city streets, ascend/descend stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions while escorting youth.
Education and/or experience required:
- Bachelor Degree in related field required; Master’s Degree a plus.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in the social services field.
- Prior experience in workforce development.
- Prior experience working in the field of youth development.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Skills, Licenses, and/or competencies required:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and dynamic presentation style.
- Strong communication, organizational, and administrative skills.
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Commitment to the mission of Catholic Charities Community Services.
Sign Up For Email
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter highlighting relevant past experience and qualifications, and state their position of interest and desired compensation. Submissions without this information will not be considered.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com