Refugees Rebuild Lives Thanks to Bank of America Volunteers
Managing Directors & More Offer Career Counseling
Refugees – those forced to flee their countries to escape war, persecution or natural disaster and fully vetted by the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security – took key steps rebuilding their lives on February 17th, thanks to Catholic Charities partnership with Bank of America at our Career Panel Event in our 80 Maiden Lane office in downtown Manhattan. Here a dozen refugees from war-torn nations met with Bank of America volunteers who specialize in the fields of marketing, banking, human resources, international business and electronic engineering. Many participants came with resumes packed with professional experience. But they need help from Catholic Charities and our extraordinary host of volunteers to overcome the language, cultural and economic challenges they now face.
Catholic Charities is dedicated to helping refugees and other victims who must flee their countries to escape violence and persecution. This complicated, comprehensive work often involves fragile survivors.
- Helps family members and sponsors process overseas applications for refugee status outside the United States
- Helps those who recently received asylum status in the United States
- Makes pre-arrival arrangements to assure a smooth transition into the United States
- Provides material assistance after arrival
- Offers English as a Second Language (ESL) classes
- Helps with school enrollment
- Provides information and referral to social services
- Provides training to find and land a job
At last week’s career panel, a free signature event Catholic Charities regularly offers to help refugees and others land good jobs, our all-star volunteers shared their expertise, working one-on-one and in groups with participating refugees.
And when we say “All-Star” we’re not kidding. Check out the titles of some of our Ace volunteers:
- Global Banking Risk Executive
- Global Markets Risk Leader
- Global Human Resources Leader
- Governance and Compliance Overseer
- Managing Director
- Risk Management Professional
Do you know a refugee who needs help rebuilding his life?
Would you like to volunteer to help refugees rebuild their lives?
Check out Catholic Charities extensive refugee volunteer opportunities